2. Farmers’ markets stimulate commerce and sales at nearby businesses.
3. It is one of the best ways to get local food which can be fresher and more nutritious as it is harvested at its peak. More than 85% of farmers’ markets vendors traveled less than 50 miles to sell at a famers’ market according to one study. Further, the same study found that more than 50% traveled less than ten miles to sell at the market.
5. They may be using more sustainable practices. A 2015 survey found that 81% of farmers that were selling at farmers’ markets were using sustainable practices such as: cover cropping, reduced tillage, composting and sustainable soil practices.
7. They are great teachers. 4 out of 5 farmers discuss farming practices with customers and explain how they interact with the natural environment. One study indicated that 72% of consumers know “nothing” or “very little” about farming and ranching. Farmers and ranchers can help bridge this gap through education at the market.
9. The food sold at the market may be fresher and healthier. In one study conducted in Washington DC, 80% said that the food sold at farmers’ market is often “fresher, cheaper, and healthier.”
10. They are fun! Many farmers’ markets have weekly themes, entertainment, cooking demos, educational vendors and much more!
To find a nearby market, either ask the locals and your friends and family or visit www.1000ecofarms.com where many local farmers markets are represented! Or buy online from a local farmer, and pickup from them at a local farmers' market. This way your food is guaranteed to be there, waiting for you, and you won't miss out on the fun aspect of connecting directly with local farmers and vendors!